Re: linux usb

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, chetan cr123 wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Kindly let me know
>> how an usb device connection is reported to kernel when we plug an usb cable.
>> I see that Udev/ueventd is responsible for that.
>
> It sounds like you're talking about the device's kernel, not the host's
> kernel.

   I am talking bout usb device kernel (not the host).
   but for me tablet/mobile should work as both as
1. As device when we connect to PC.
2. As host when we connect a pendriver or some other device when
connected to my tablet.

so i was asking about udev/uevent and how the usb plug in
reported/detected to kerenl. so that in run time i can decide and load
/ unload the USB gadget and USB host driver.

>> I want to know how exactly usb device will report to (kernel or udev)
>> when an device is plugged.
>
> Answer: Currently connections are not reported.
>   Ok fine. then kindly let me know how kernel or OS comes to know USB is connected?
> There was some discussion about having the gadget core export a
> pollable sysfs file that would indicate the current USB connection
> state.  But nobody has written any code.
>
>> how can to create an sysfs(node) from gadget driver and this driver
>> reports to Udev/uevent when an USB device is connected.
>> So that Application can read Uevents of USB plugin and do the
>> necessary action (in my case disable the block driver and load usb
>> gadget mass storage to communicate with PC -----> SD-card of
>> Tablet/mobile) .
>> Kindly let me know how can i do this.
>
> There is no way to do this now.
> oh is it. then u mean i cant go with this use case?
   I am using Android ICS 4.03 source code for our tablet device.
   I saw in some Samsung phone running on Android 2.3. they have
implemented a use case like this.
   when we use some files(say mp3 ) playing from SD-card------> block
driver will come into picture.
   at the same time when user plugs an USB cable the playing video
stops(to say block driver might be unloaded ) to UI they informs user
about USB connection and loads gadget driver so that we can read write
to SD-card in Tablet(mobile) from computer.

This i need to implement on my tablet phone. Kindly let me know how
can i do this.