Re: needs XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk?

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 02:01:37PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Sarah!

> > What devices trigger the warning?  Do you notice anything odd with
> > those devices?
>
> I have this port connected to an SIIG USB2/3 hub.  After a while
> communications to the hub cease and only a reboot restores things.

So only the USB 3.0 hub was causing those warnings?  I'm not sure why
the hub would be sending short packets, unless it happens while you have
an older version of usb-utils installed and you're running lsusb a lot?

Can you send me the full dmesg with CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING turned
on, and try to get it into a state where the hub stops communicating?

> > Do you have a USB headset with a speaker to test with?  If you notice
> > robotic-sounding audio when you record from the headset, then we need
> > to trust the untransferred length, not the completion status.
>
> If I plug a USB headset into a USB 3 port on the SIIG I get this:
>
> usb 8-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 11 using xhci_hcd
> usb 8-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0d8c, idProduct=0139
> usb 8-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 8-1.3: Product: DYNEX USB Audio Device
> usb 8-1.3: Manufacturer: C-Media Electronics Inc.
> usb 8-1.3: Not enough bandwidth for new device state.
> usb 8-1.3: can't set config #1, error -28
>
> Similarly plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the SIIG:

So there are USB 2.0 only ports on this hub?  That's odd, the ports are
usually blue ports that can handle both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices.

> usb 8-1.1.1: new full-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
> usb 8-1.1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0d8c, idProduct=0139
> usb 8-1.1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 8-1.1.1: Product: DYNEX USB Audio Device
> usb 8-1.1.1: Manufacturer: C-Media Electronics Inc.
> usb 8-1.1.1: Not enough bandwidth for new device state.
> usb 8-1.1.1: can't set config #1, error -28

Hmm, usually that means that there isn't enough bus bandwidth for all
devices, but a USB 2.0 hub and a headset shouldn't be enough to fill up
the bus bandwidth.  What happens when you plug the headset directly into
the USB 3.0 root port, without the SIIG hub in the way?

> Fomr no until reboot nothing added to that hub will work.

Very odd.  I'll have to see what the dmesg says.

Sarah Sharp