Re: needs XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk?

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 12:32:10PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Sarah!
>
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:18:08 -0700
> Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN Successful completion on short TX:
> > > needs XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk?
>
> > With the XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk, we will trust the untransferred
> > length, not the completion status.  That's what we've found several
> > Fresco Logic host controllers need, so you may need the same quirk.
>
> Figures.
>
> > Can you send me the output of `sudo lspci -vvv` and
> > `sudo lspci -vvv -n`?  I need to know the PCI vendor and device ID for
> > your xHCI host controller.
>
> Attached.

Hmm, so this is for an Etron host controller.  We found this issue on
the Fresco Logic host controller, and I'm not sure if the behavior is
the same, since they're from different vendors.

What devices trigger the warning?  Do you notice anything odd with those
devices?

Do you have a USB headset with a speaker to test with?  If you notice
robotic-sounding audio when you record from the headset, then we need to
trust the untransferred length, not the completion status.

> > > Any idea what I should do with this WARN?  I would love to get my
> > > USB 3.0 stable.
> >
> > I'll add a patch that says your host controller needs the
> > XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk.  Then we'll ignore the successful
> > completion and trust the untransferred length instead.
>
> Thanks.  I compile my own kernels so I can test for you.
>
> Anyway to specify this at kernel or module load time?

Nope.  We don't make module parameters for quirks because we really want
the driver to work out-of-the-box with all host hardware.  So we need to
add a quirk to the driver.

I'll send you a patch to test shortly.

Sarah Sharp