RE: usb hub is n't recognised during boot up(sometimes)

Hi  Alen,

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Stern [mailto:stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 12:45 PM
To: Sadasivan Shaiju
Cc: Peter Chen; shaiju shaiju; linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: usb hub is n't recognised during boot up(sometimes)

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Sadasivan Shaiju wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM, shaiju shaiju <shshaiju@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi  Peter,
> >
> > I have attached the dmesg  for  a  working  case and a non  working
> > case with  CONFIG_USB_DEBUG  option  set .
> >
> > Looks  like  here  is  what is  happening  in the case  of  error .   It
> > try  to use  OHCI/UHCI  driver  instead of EHCI  driver  and  try  to
> > set  the  port  to  fullspeed,  instead of  high speed .

Right.  As Peter said, this is caused by a hardware problem.

> This happens only some times  .  Say  after 30 reboots  the  problem
> occurs  . If it is  a  hardware  problem how  it is  working in other
> cases .

Because it is intermittent.  Actually that doesn't explain anything;
it just means that sometimes the problem occurs and sometimes it goes
away.  But hardware problems can be like that, whereas software
problems tend not to be.

In this case, the problem seems to be that some part of the hardware is
marginally out of spec.  Most of the time it works but sometimes it
doesn't.

> We  have a rate matching hub embedded in the PCH .   The  hardware  used
> is   Ibex  Peak/Jasper  Forest .

> This is  an  eUSB  .   I  am not  sure  how I can  try  the  above  .

It may be that the electrical connections between the EHCI controller
and the rate-matching hub are marginally bad.

But the the host controller detects it is a high speed device .  But  the
EHCI  try to
Run in  companion  mode  forcing  it to  full speed .  Below  I  am  copying
the  problem  area .

usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2 usb 1-1:
link qh256-0001/ffff8801581b2b80 start 1 [1/0 us]
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: port 1 full speed --> companion
---------------------> Here is  the problem .
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: GetStatus port 1 status 003801 POWER OWNER sig=j
CONNECT hub 2-0:1.0: port 1 not reset yet, waiting 50ms

Regards,
Shaiju.

Alan Stern