Re: needs XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk?

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:49:39PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Sarah!
>
> I see you are the maintainer for the XHCI subsystem.  Thanks for doing
> that.
>
> I keep getting this message on recent kernels:
>
> xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: WARN Successful completion on short TX: needs XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk?

Yep, that means your host controller is giving software conflicting
data.  The successful completion status tells us the data from the
device was received fine, but then the "untransferred length" field says
that some of the data wasn't received.  On a short transfer from the
device, the host is supposed to pass a short transfer completion code.

With the XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk, we will trust the untransferred
length, not the completion status.  That's what we've found several
Fresco Logic host controllers need, so you may need the same quirk.

> My kernel is 3.4.4-gentoo.
>
> 0000:03:00.0 is:
>
> 	Device Descriptor:
> 	  bLength                18
> 	  bDescriptorType         1
> 	  bcdUSB               2.00
> 	  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
> 	  bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
> 	  bDeviceProtocol         1 Single TT
> 	  bMaxPacketSize0        64
> 	  idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
> 	  idProduct          0x0002 2.0 root hub
> 	  bcdDevice            3.04
> 	  iManufacturer           3 Linux 3.4.4-gentoo xhci_hcd
> 	  iProduct                2 xHCI Host Controller
> 	  iSerial                 1 0000:03:00.0
> 	  bNumConfigurations      1

Can you send me the output of `sudo lspci -vvv` and
`sudo lspci -vvv -n`?  I need to know the PCI vendor and device ID for
your xHCI host controller.

> Any idea what I should do with this WARN?  I would love to get my USB 3.0
> stable.

I'll add a patch that says your host controller needs the
XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk.  Then we'll ignore the successful completion
and trust the untransferred length instead.

Sarah Sharp