Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:06:22AM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > ASIDE: we really need USB interface # matching in the module device
> > tables too.  'option' is a sledgehammer where often only 2 or the
> > modem's ports should be driven by option, and others aren't actually
> > serial interfaces or are network interfaces that we haven't figured out
> > how to talk to yet.  These completely different interfaces often have
> > the same class/subclass/protocol and thus option tries to claim them
> > all.  We need something like:
> >
> > USB_DEVICE_INTERFACE_NUM_INFO(vid, pid, class, subclass, proto, intf#)
>
> Yes! Being a newbie around here I wonder if this has been discussed and
> refused before?  If so, a pointer to the discussion would be
> appreciated.

No, I don't think it's ever been proposed.  I wouldn't have any
objection to it, and I think a number of other drivers could take
advantage of it as well.

When those macros were first written, no one had complex devices that
did "weird" things like needing the specific interface number, as that's
not really how the USB spec was supposed to be interpreted from what I
can tell.

So please feel free to submit a patch that adds this if you want it.

thanks,

greg k-h