Re: [RFC 06/13] USB: Add support to enable/disable USB3 link states.

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:08:37PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
> > > On an unrelated note, hub.c is already by far the largest source file
> > > in drivers/usb/core -- and you're adding another thousand lines or so.
> > > Maybe it's time to consider splitting it into two or more files.
> >
> > I can look at splitting out the link PM code into a separate file, sure.
> > But I have no idea how best to split up the rest of the hub.c code, and
> > no real desire to do so as part of this particular patchset.
>
> I didn't mean that it should be done right now, and certainly not as
> part of this patch set.  But it should get done in the not-too-distant
> future.

Ah, good. :)  Do you have any more comments on the revised patches?

> Besides, splitting out the link PM stuff is not the right approach.
> It would be very lopsided.  What I had in mind was something more like
> putting all the code for managing the hub itself in one file, and all
> the code for managing the downstream connections in another file.  Even
> that might not be ideal, but at least it's a reasonable start.

That might make sense.  We could also break out a lot of the port
manipulations into a separate file.  The short ones like
clear_hub_feature, the LED work, etc.

Sarah Sharp