Re: Device Enumeration Failure

On Thu, 17 May 2012, Anil Nair wrote:

> I observed the dmesg and lsusb log of the cando touchscreen of an Acer
> 1825PTZ, it seems that the Cando touchscreen is detected by and
> attached to the UHCI controller. I also observed the screen shots by
> Gerhard, the cando touchscreen is a full speed device and in windows
> it is able to detect it, the Intel C200 chipset supports full
> speed,high speed and low speed device; the EHCI driver in Linux wasn't
> successfully able to enumerate it.

"Enumerate" is the wrong word.  The EHCI driver doesn't enumerate
anything; the USB core does.

Besides, what happened was not a failure of enumeration.  The device
could be not enumerated because it wasn't detected, and it wasn't
detected because it was electrically disconnected from the USB bus.

> The dmesg and lsusb list is provided in the link below,
>
> "https://launchpadlibrarian.net/95270794/BootDmesg.txt";
> "https://launchpadlibrarian.net/95270802/Lsusb.txt";
>
>  Alan sir, isn't it a possibility that the Cando touchscreen was not
> detected by the Linux kernel as a full speed device??? UHCI controller
> isn't present in the laptop used by gerhard so i am guessing that
> maybe the possibility.

No.  If your guess was right then no full/low-speed device would work
on that laptop, whereas obviously they do.  For example, the mouse
wheel was detected normally.

The Windows screenshot showed that the touchscreen was plugged into a
hub, and the port status data from that hub under Linux showed the port
was not getting a connect signal (no D+ pullup).

Alan Stern