Re: UMTS/LTE Device K5005 from Vodafone/Huawei with ID 12d1:14c8

Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 22:41 +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
>>
>> The device 12d1:14c3 -->usb_modeswitch --> 12d1:14c8
>>

>> should be added to the ID-list of "option" and "qmi_wwan".
>
> qmi_wwan and option are mutually exclusive.  Any device that needs IDs
> in qmi_wwan should also have IDs in qcserial, not option.

I think you are a little too strict here.  Any *Gobi* device should have
IDs in qcserial.  But there are QMI devices which do not qualify as Gobi
devices (the Huawei E392 is one example).  These are not supported by
the qcserial driver and should probably be handled by the option driver
instead.

The device Thomas has, is obviously also such a device.  It has

    bNumInterfaces          7

so it cannot be supported by the qcserial driver.

It also has the same strange nearly-cdc-ether descriptors as the E392:

    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        3
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      1
      bInterfaceProtocol     57
      iInterface              0
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 00 10 01
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  0d 24 0f 01 00 00 00 00 08 06 01 00 00
      ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 06 03 04
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x85  EP 5 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               5
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        4
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
[cut]

The UNRECOGNIZED descriptors are CDC descriptors.  The last one is CDC
Union referring to these two interfaces (3 and 4).

This device should be handled like the E392, which means that we need to
add if #3 to cdc-wdm and if #4 to qmi_wwan.

>  And vice-versa: if it's got IDs in qcserial, it should also have them
> in qmi_wwan.

Let's hope that is correct as we've made that assumption for 3.4 :-)

> (except for those devices where the OEM has modified the firmware
> descriptors so the device actually exports a standard network interface
> like cdc-ether; but in this case option still is the wrong choice)

Why?  The option driver with appropriate blacklisting of non-serial
interfaces should work OK for such devices.

Bjørn