Re: submitting code to the usb subsystem

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:56:11AM +0000, tilman wrote:
> Hi Greg

> > do
> > > What "options" are there ? Do the need to publish the source code of the
> > > firmware under GNU ? IO-Data would certainly not give its consent...
> >
> > For firmware?  See the wide range of different license types in the
> > linux-firmware package as examples of valid licenses they can use.
> > Surely there is one in there that they can agree with.
>
> IOData refused. I can use the firmware personally on my computer (as I have
> extracted it anyways) but they don't want me to submit it to the firmware
> package.

That's sad to hear.

> Are the other options ?

Not that I know of, sorry.

> The most obvious one would be to write my own firmware and publish it
> under GNU...

Sure, that would work.  What chip is in this device?  Perhaps you can
start with the existing firmware that we already have in the tree for
one of the other usb to serial devices, if it is the same processor?

good luck,

greg k-h