Re: submitting code to the usb subsystem

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:20:06PM +0000, tilman wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>

> > > I am almost done writing driver for usb-to-serial-convertor.
> >
> > Great, what device is it for?
> http://www.iodata.jp/products/ifoption/usbrsa.htm
>
> And this brings me to my next question:
> The USB2Serial uses an AN2131Q (Eazy USB). The firmware is downloaded during
> enumeration (as for the whiteheat adapter). I recorded the firmware, dumped it
> as hex file,  and included it (unchanged) into the driver. Will this violate any
> copyrights ?

New firmware files are not to be added to the kernel source tree, they
should be made part of the linux-firmware package, which is separate.

As for copyrights, please ask the company what they want to do about
this, that's the nice thing to do.  Their response depends on what to do
next.

thanks,

greg k-h