Re: Setting a HID report via an interrupt transfer.

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:49:58PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Greg KH on 2012/04/05 at 18:19 -0700]
>
> >Then that is up to those other platforms.
>
> No, it isn't. Users need this software to work, even if other platforms haven't
> gotten around to providing all of the generic stuff yet.

Ok, what platform are you talking about?  Specifics please.

> Also, it's a lot more
> trouble for us, in terms of development, maintenance, and verification, to have
> to support a vast layer of stuff in a platform-dependent way when supporting
> basic USB operations is really all that needs to be platform-dependent.

Who is "us"?

> Now I'm sure you're wondering what software we're discussing. We maintain
> software that controls braille devices. We're talking about giving blind people
> access to all possible environments. A braille device is as important to a
> blind person as your monitor is to you. Yes, we may do things in ways which
> don't exactly fit your idealistic way of looking at things, but that's because
> we're doing our level best to open up areas of access to blind people which
> have, to date, been denied to them - e.g. the grub boot prompt.

That's a wonderful goal.  But note, that Linux already supports this
just fine (or it should, if not, please let us know and we will fix up
our braille interface that comes with the kernel.)

Circumventing the standard apis that the Linux kernel provides for this
type of thing is not something that you will get much help from from us
here, as we already spent the time and energy to implement this once,
correctly.

And if some platforms do not support your device, that's sad, but why
not contact the developers of those platforms yourself?  There's nothing
we can do about their code or interfaces here, right?

greg k-h