Re: Qualcomm "raw IP" mode (was Re: Huawei E398 cdc/serialmodem-ppp 3G/4G)

Hi Bjorn,

> > I do not wanna run DHCP at all on these links. I assume we have a
> > command that tells us what IP and DNS are used and then we just set it.
>
> Yes, the QMI_WDS command 0x002d "GET_RUNTIME_SETTINGS" can be used
> instead of DHCP.  It will report all IP settings (inlcuding the
> unecessary netmask and gateway) as well as profile, APN and QoS
> parameters
>
> > Running DHCP is as stupid as using PPP for communication with the modem.
>
> I see your point, but it has the advantage that it fits nicely into any
> existing IP configuration tools.  And the Windows driver does use it as
> well.

and since when is that a good argument ;)

Using DHCP is just pointless. And ip is an existing configuration tool.
Running DHCP is just being lazy. On Linux we do not need that.

> > Actually DHCP and an Ethernet card has the inherent disadvantage that
> > you need a netmask,
>
> The raw IP mode does not change this.  It is still a LAN emulation.
> Like it or not.
>
> >  and also have to deal with ARP.
>
> No, that's not necessary.  Setting the IFF_NOARP flag avoids it.
>
> > Why would you do that
> > if your device is not an Ethernet card. Essentially you are blocking
> > more than the one needed IP address and forcing extra overhead in just
> > getting your packets over the network.
>
> The raw IP mode does not change how addresses are assigned *to* the
> device.  So the address usage is the same.  A subnet mask and a gateway
> address within the same subnet is always provided. I guess this is due
> to some 3GPP address assignment protocol.

Actually there is not gateway address. That is just some made up thing.
You get an IP address and two DNS servers. That is it.

It is in the true sense a point-to-point connection.

> > The over the air links are IP and the kernel just exposing a
> > Point-to-point network interface is perfectly fine. It can like any
> > other device you create with TUN/TAP for example. It does not matter
> > what type it is as long as you make it Point-to-point.
>
> I don't think I can make it a true point to point in the sense that only
> two addresses are used.  The address assignment is part of some
> device/network communication which I cannot influence AFAIK.

As I said, there is only one address. And the is your IP address. The
gateway is made up by the card.

Regards

Marcel