Re: Qualcomm "raw IP" mode (was Re: Huawei E398 cdc/serialmodem-ppp 3G/4G)

Marcel Holtmann <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I do not wanna run DHCP at all on these links. I assume we have a
> command that tells us what IP and DNS are used and then we just set it.

Yes, the QMI_WDS command 0x002d "GET_RUNTIME_SETTINGS" can be used
instead of DHCP.  It will report all IP settings (inlcuding the
unecessary netmask and gateway) as well as profile, APN and QoS
parameters

> Running DHCP is as stupid as using PPP for communication with the modem.

I see your point, but it has the advantage that it fits nicely into any
existing IP configuration tools.  And the Windows driver does use it as
well.

> Actually DHCP and an Ethernet card has the inherent disadvantage that
> you need a netmask,

The raw IP mode does not change this.  It is still a LAN emulation.
Like it or not.

>  and also have to deal with ARP.

No, that's not necessary.  Setting the IFF_NOARP flag avoids it.

> Why would you do that
> if your device is not an Ethernet card. Essentially you are blocking
> more than the one needed IP address and forcing extra overhead in just
> getting your packets over the network.

The raw IP mode does not change how addresses are assigned *to* the
device.  So the address usage is the same.  A subnet mask and a gateway
address within the same subnet is always provided. I guess this is due
to some 3GPP address assignment protocol.

> The over the air links are IP and the kernel just exposing a
> Point-to-point network interface is perfectly fine. It can like any
> other device you create with TUN/TAP for example. It does not matter
> what type it is as long as you make it Point-to-point.

I don't think I can make it a true point to point in the sense that only
two addresses are used.  The address assignment is part of some
device/network communication which I cannot influence AFAIK.

So, there is no real benefit wrt addressing.  I can of course make a
device which ignores the netmask (in fact, using NOARP already does),
but it does not improve anything.

Bjørn