Re: Problem with xHCI; mass storage device not detected

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> > Usually USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports are paired together.  The blue USB 3.0
> > port you see actually contains both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 wires.  Unless
> > your host really does have three USB 3.0-only ports, and one USB 2.0/3.0
> > port?  What kind of USB ports did the packaging advertise?
>
> This card has 4 USB3 ports, no USB2.

A USB-3 controller can also handle USB-2 devices; otherwise you
wouldn't be able to use the older devices on your new computer!

Most often, a USB-3 port can handle USB-2 devices; in that sense the
port can be both USB-2 and USB-3.  It's very rare for a port to be
USB-3-only -- if it were, you wouldn't be able to use it for older
devices.  Sarah is guessing that all four of your ports are USB-2 and
USB-3, even though the hardware claims that only one of them is.

> > Then we get a connection on a USB 2.0 port:
>
> But there isn't one :)

See above.  You have at least one and most likely four ports that are
both USB-2 and USB-3.

> > Does your mass storage device contain a USB hub, or are you plugging the
> > mass storage device into the hub?
>
> Hm? I don't know, I'm plugging it directly into the USB3 card.
>
> BTW. It works correctly in Windows, although I recall a message saying
> that I should connect it to a USB3 port, but it was USB3...

What happens if you plug this mass storage device into a computer that
doesn't have USB-3?  In particular, what does lsusb show when the
device is plugged in?

Alan Stern