Re: [RFC v2 4/9] USB: Suspend functions before putting dev into U3.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Second, it seems to me that in the long run, this is asking for trouble.
> IMHO the function should be represented in the device tree between
> the device and the interfaces. We have the same constraints as for
> interfaces and devices. A function's interfaces cannot do PM independently
> and suspending a device means suspending all its functions.

This will require a significant amount of change to the entire USB
stack.  There must be lots of places where we assume that the device is
the parent of the interface.  (It wouldn't be surprising if userspace
makes that assumption as well.)  Making it even more difficult is the
fact that USB-2 devices don't have functions whereas USB-3 devices do.

> We'd get the handling of multifunction devices for free putting functions
> into the device tree.

Yes, but adding functions to the driver model is far from free.  I'm
not saying we shouldn't do it eventually, but it will be quite a big
job.

Alan Stern