Re: [RFC v2 4/9] USB: Suspend functions before putting dev into U3.

Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2012, 00:36:08 schrieb Sarah Sharp:
> The USB 3.0 bus specification introduces a new type of power management
> called function suspend.  The idea is to be able to suspend different
> functions (i.e. a scanner or an SD card reader on a USB printer)
> independently.  A device can be in U0, but have one or more functions
> suspended.  Thus, signaling a function resume with the standard device
> remote wake signaling was not possible.
>
> Instead, a device will (without prompt from the host) send a "device
> notification" for the function remote wake.  A new Set Feature Function
> Remote Wa

First, this is no criticism of this patch.

Second, it seems to me that in the long run, this is asking for trouble.
IMHO the function should be represented in the device tree between
the device and the interfaces. We have the same constraints as for
interfaces and devices. A function's interfaces cannot do PM independently
and suspending a device means suspending all its functions.

We'd get the handling of multifunction devices for free putting functions
into the device tree.

	Regards
		Oliver