Re: Multiple ep0 setup requests

Hello Greg.

on 01/24/2012 08:39 PM Greg KH said the following:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 08:18:28PM +0100, Michael Hunold wrote:

>> this driver is Toshiba-specific and support for the Toshiba TMPA9xx
>> ARM architecture is not yet in mainline either, so it does not make
>> sense to submit any of the specific drivers, I guess.

> As long as the build doesn't fail, I see no reason to wait to add a
> driver like this, it would make your life easier, right?

It will only be possible to compile-test the driver, nothing more. For
real testing, other steps would have to be taken before. (see below)

>> Submitting the whole architecture is of course desirable, but will
>> likely not happen. There is not enough interest and/or support for
>> doing this.

> Why not?  What is keeping it from being included?  Who doesn't want
> to submit it?

It's not the case that somebody is not wanting to submit it, but rather
somebody is just missing to do the job.

There are multiple reasons, more or less technical.

This is an older ARM926-based platform.

The hardware has some architectural quirks that require patches to other
drivers first, like the pl190 VIC driver, the amba-clcd driver, the
generic USB OHCI driver etc.

The current kernel is based on stable 2.6.39.4 kernel, but following the
mainline development more closely is necessary.

Russell King and all the others are doing a great job to consolidate the
whole ARM architecture, but that means following a lot of changes in all
places at a quick pace.

I know that it's possible to get the job done if somebody really wanted.

> thanks,
> greg k-h

Best regards
Michael.