Re: USB card reader - 32 GB SD card detected as 2 TB card

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Richard Ash wrote:

> > > Why not?  Doesn't that prove there's something else wrong, somewhere?
> >
> > Probably my poor Windows skills, as the built-in Windows partitioner
> > doesn't want to repartition any card, even in the built-in card reader ;)
>
> It's an intentional cripple-ware feature of the Windows disk manager -
> it believes that removable media shouldn't be partitioned, so refuses to
> allow you to do so, or even to delete or remove partitions from them.
>
> So even if everything is working normally, you won't be able to
> re-partition the card with the supplied Windows tools.
>
> (I found this out when an old digital camera partitioned the first 8GB
> of a 16GB CF card, and all the new ones refused to make it any bigger,
> even for a full format. Windows would show you the problem, but not let
> you fix it, so I had to use Linux to wipe the card and be able to format
> the full 16GB. Has worked fine ever since.)

Wonderful.  Is this a new feature in Windows?  ISTR that under XP or
some earlier version there was no such restriction.

All right, at least we can assume that if Windows _did_ allow the 32-GB
card to be repartitioned, it would set up the partitions as though the
card's total capacity were 2 TB.  That's the behavior people have seen
with other devices in the past.

Tomasz, did you try the experiment of renaming /lib/udev/ata_id
temporarily before plugging in the reader?  (Or maybe the program at
fault is /lib/udev/udisks-part-id; I don't remember.)  If that
works, you ought to be able to overwrite the card's partition table
under Linux.  It would be interesting to see what Windows then thinks
about the card.

Alan Stern