Re: USB card reader - 32 GB SD card detected as 2 TB card

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 18:32 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> > Why not?  Doesn't that prove there's something else wrong, somewhere?
>
> Probably my poor Windows skills, as the built-in Windows partitioner
> doesn't want to repartition any card, even in the built-in card reader ;)

It's an intentional cripple-ware feature of the Windows disk manager -
it believes that removable media shouldn't be partitioned, so refuses to
allow you to do so, or even to delete or remove partitions from them.

So even if everything is working normally, you won't be able to
re-partition the card with the supplied Windows tools.

(I found this out when an old digital camera partitioned the first 8GB
of a 16GB CF card, and all the new ones refused to make it any bigger,
even for a full format. Windows would show you the problem, but not let
you fix it, so I had to use Linux to wipe the card and be able to format
the full 16GB. Has worked fine ever since.)

Richard