Re: Driver(s) for Synopsys' DesignWare USB OTG

Hello Matthieu,

09.01.2012 13:04, Matthieu CASTET wrote:
Hi,

Please see:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=129906859817430&w=2

Ah, thanks. So sadly uncoordinated work in this area is quite common.
However, in case of Synopsys the situation is even more disappointing
because initially it _was_ a single driver! What probably lacked was some
shared repository and proper communication between developers to stay in
sync. Maybe there were also licensing issues at some point, though currently
file headers contain rather reasonable (imho) permissive license from
Synopsys.

I think there is a confusion : there 2 usb controller sold by Synopsys :

- the one they buy from chip-idea (the ehci one extended to do otg and handle
full-speed device without companion). This driver got more than one udc driver.

- the one they did : DesignWare USB OTG. Most of the scheduling is done with
software (at least for the version we had) : it make impossible to use full
speed serial device on a high speed hub (irq storm due to split transaction).

I think the driver of Nikolai is the second one.

You are right. The irq problems you mentioned are reflected somewhere in the code (Not that I understand it well). Does it mean successfull connection just won't be possible in some cases? (Sorry if the question sounds silly, my background wrt USB is still next to nonexistent)

Thank you.
Nikolai.

Matthieu