Re: Kernel USB unit tests

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 13:47:10 -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 08:54:57PM +0000, Jeff Cooper wrote:
>> I'm trying to track down an issue a client is reporting with corrupted
>> USB transfers from a USB pen drive in the 3.0 kernel.  The platform is
>> a OMAP 35x LogicPD Torpedo module on a custom base board.
>>
>> The problem that they're seeing is when they read a file from USB pen
>> drive, the md5sum some doesn't always match the expected value.  I
>> haven't been able to duplicate the issue they're seeing myself yet, but
>> one of my coworkers suggested running the USB unit tests in the kernel.
>>
>> I'm following the instructions at: http://www.linux-usb.org/usbtest/.
>> I've built a kernel with CONFIG_USB_TEST enabled and with
>> CONFIG_USB_STORAGE set to a module.  Then I put the USB pen drive I'm
>> going to run the tests against into the board and boot the kernel.
>> Then I do the following:
>>
>> cat /proc/bus/usb/devices to get the vendor/product ID's and the device
>> number in /proc/bus/usb
>> modprobe usbtest vendor=0x1234 product=0x5678 ./testusb -D
>> /proc/bus/usb/001/003
>
> I thought the testusb tool would only work with devices that you could
> download the firmware to.  Perhaps that is why it's not working properly
> for you?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Greg,

There's a paragraph on linux-usb.org that states:

  You can use module options to make the "usbtest" driver bind to any USB
  peripheral that enumerates and then the "testusb" program can talk to
  it with "test 9" and "test 10". Those are chapter 9 tests (control
  traffic) that every USB device should be able to pass. If even those
  simple tests don't work, you'll have found a bug in either that
  peripheral's firmware, some hardware component, or in Linux (probably
  the HCD, which can often be changed with an inexpensive PCI card).

I was interpreting that to mean that any USB device should be able to
pass tests 9 and 10 if you bind the usbtest driver to the device.  Am I
misunderstanding that?

thanks,
Jeff