Re: [GIT PULL] USB fixes for 3.2

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 12:33:05PM +0200, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 02:05:18PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > > I wouldn't say it's unneded, it was the commit which brought our
> > > histories together. Undocumented maybe, but then again, what's there to
> > > document after all?
> >
> > Clearly someone is going to have do the merge, the point is that this
> > should be done as part of pulling the changes rather than the person
> > sending the pull request.  This gives the person doing the pull more
> > visibility of what's going on and in general there's going to have to
> > be a further merge anyway as a result of other changes in the master
> > tree.
>
> that works fine when you have everything on one single branch, but I
> keep multiple branches for different drivers/frameworks: one for the
> DWC3 driver, one for MUSB, one for HCI, one for transceivers, one for
> gadget framework, and so on. If I'm not supposed to do any merges, then
> I'll have to send multiple pull requests which is just a waste of time.

No it isn't at all.

This is what Linus asks from his subsystem maintainers, and as such, I
need to also ask from you.

If you have multiple git trees/branches, that are separate, please send
me seperate pull requests, that's trivial to handle on my end.

But again, for this problem merge that I rejected, there was no need for
the merge at all from a patch standpoint.

Yes, you can, and should, do a local merge yourself to verify that there
are no conflicts, and that everything works properly with my tree at the
moment, but there is no need for you to then force me to take that
"empty" merge into my tree, let me do that on my end please.

> I don't see why this fear of merge commits, really.

They are messy and pointless, please read Linus's complaints about them
numerous times in the past for full details if you are curious.

greg k-h