Re: [GIT PULL] USB fixes for 3.2

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:20:33PM +0900, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 01:50:33PM +0200, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > A few more fixes for 3.2. Compile tested with allmodconfig and allyesconfig and
> > also boot-tested on my x86 desktop with my DWC3 FPGA card.
> >
> > All patches have been pending on the mailing list for quite a while and they
> > should all be fine by now.
> >
> > The following changes since commit 118205d6b6752e22e19b771771174e6426582311:
> >
> >   USB: linux-cdc-acm.inf: add support for the acm_ms gadget (2011-11-29 09:59:29 +0900)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >   ra.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/balbi/usb.git for-greg
>
> Ick, what's with the "merge" commit at the end of this tree?  Not good
> at all, that wasn't needed, and only makes things messier.
>
> So, I just converted this branch into patches, and applied them, please
> rebase your tree now, and don't do that again.

I just hope we wouldn't have to keep on rebasing branches, it makes
things a lot more difficult for me because everytime I have to re-create
my master branch and my own history looks messy.

Git is very good with merges and that's what most other maintainers are
taking in. See Tony's [1] and Arnd's [2] pull requests for instance:
it's just a series of merges of other fixes/cleanups/features branches
and that's how things should be with git.

Whenever I rebase, I loose my commit hashes so I can't make git actually
track anything for me. I can't delete a branch safely because git will
complain that my branch isn't fully merged; of course, I can git branch
-D to force the deletion but that's really not point of using git.

Merges aren't bad at all and you should really learn how to deal with
them. I feel much better basing all my changes on top of a Linus' tag
than on top of your usb-linus or usb-next branches which could contain
completely random stuff which hasn't even been on linux-next long enough
for me to trust. Granted, my tree isn't on linux-next but that's, again,
not the point.

Linus has already complained many times because people send pull
requests based off of completely untested commits (because it was
rebased a few minutes ago on Linus-of-the-day) and I tend to agree with
his view: if I test everything on top of 3.2-rc3 and I send a pull
request on top of usb-linus, clearly I didn't test what I asking you to
pull and I cannot do daily fetch rebase cycles on top of your branches
because I will be loosing the cryptograpic safety of git when doing
that.

If that's really the way you wanna go, there's little point in sending
you a pull request at all, I can just combine all patches and send them
as email every now and then so you can apply.

Still, I would rather go over your rants everytime I send a pull request
than being blamed afterwards because my "commits weren't tested" before
sending them upstream.

ps: sorry for the url, already fixed it.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=132209259903432&w=2
[2] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=132045094212058&w=2

--
balbi