Re: [GIT PULL] USB fixes for 3.2

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 08:01:26AM +0900, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:28:18PM +0200, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Ick, what's with the "merge" commit at the end of this tree?  Not good
> > > at all, that wasn't needed, and only makes things messier.
> > >
> > > So, I just converted this branch into patches, and applied them, please
> > > rebase your tree now, and don't do that again.
> >
> > I just hope we wouldn't have to keep on rebasing branches, it makes
> > things a lot more difficult for me because everytime I have to re-create
> > my master branch and my own history looks messy.
>
> <snip>
>
> I understand this, so don't send me branches that are "messy".
>
> Linus will complain if you have unneeded merges, and your branch had a
> totally unneeded, and not really documented at all, merge at the end of
> it to my tree.

I wouldn't say it's unneded, it was the commit which brought our
histories together. Undocumented maybe, but then again, what's there to
document after all?

> That is why I complained and converted your tree to patches instead.
>
> Yes, I want tested patches, and ones that have been applied for a while.
> If you want to do a merge on your own to see if there are going to be
> conflicts, wonderful, but don't push that merge to me to pull.
>
> If there are conflicts, then great, I'd like that merge to be there, or
> at least tell me about it so that I can resolve it properly myself.
>
> This is exactly the same rules that Linus makes all the subsystem
> maintainers follow, it shouldn't be new at all.

Fair enough, then how do you want me to send you pull requests for merge
windows ? Considering I have several branches to merge (musb, dwc3,
gadget, transceiver) either I send you one pull request for each branch
or you will need to see merge commits from myself.

--
balbi