Re: [GIT PULL] USB fixes for 3.2

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 12:33:05PM +0200, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 02:05:18PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Clearly someone is going to have do the merge, the point is that this
> > should be done as part of pulling the changes rather than the person
> > sending the pull request.  This gives the person doing the pull more
> > visibility of what's going on and in general there's going to have to
> > be a further merge anyway as a result of other changes in the master
> > tree.

> that works fine when you have everything on one single branch, but I
> keep multiple branches for different drivers/frameworks: one for the
> DWC3 driver, one for MUSB, one for HCI, one for transceivers, one for
> gadget framework, and so on. If I'm not supposed to do any merges, then
> I'll have to send multiple pull requests which is just a waste of time.

That's a bit different to the case I was mentioning above where you're
merging upstream back into your tree before sending, in this case it
depends partly on the maintainer's preferences.  Many prefer to be able
to take a decision per topic on what they merge as this allows them to
pull only part of what you're sending and makes the chunks being checked
a bit smaller (really a similar line of thinking to the idea of
splitting up patches).  Other mantainers don't care, and the decision
may depend on what the pull request is.

> I don't see why this fear of merge commits, really.

It's not that merges are bad (almost all pull requests result in
merges after all), it's a visbility thing.