Re: USB3 high-speed write test failure with WDC MyBook 3TB drive

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 06:00:13PM -0500, starlight@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> At 12:17 PM 11/22/2011 -0800, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> >The patch
> >that went in fixes a case where the xHCI driver
> >feels the host controller bad data, but only if
> >the device needs a reset (which some storage
> >devices do when they decide they can't handle a
> >particular SCSI command).  So the MyBook might
> >trigger the xHCI driver bug, but your new drive
> >appears not to.
>
> Interesting.  Would make sense that an ASMedia
> ASM1051 USB3 bridge would play nicer with an
> ASMedia ASM1042 host controller than bridges
> from other vendors.

I think it's a moot point that the vendors match for the device and host
combo that works.  You could probably get the AsMedia bridge to fail in
the same way as a non-AsMedia bridge under your AsMedia host if you sent
it a malformed SCSI command.  It's the commands that the userspace and
SCSI layer send to the device that cause it to need a USB device reset.

> Pretty sure the MyBook has an Initio INIC-3607.
> This controller and the JMicron JMS539 found in
> the Mukii both have an 8051 CPU and run with the
> associated firmware ecosystem--the trigger might
> be in some common 8051 code.
>
> >Any chance you can try the latest kernel from
> >Linus' tree and see if it fixes your problem?
>
> Sure.  Had to move to 3.1.1 in the end anyway.
> RHEL 6.0 kernel trapped when parted 3.0
> attempted to GPT partition a 4K logical sector
> drive.  Once one starts compiling kernels, one
> more is easy.  3.1.1 works nice so far (i.e.
> no crashes), gets along with the RHEL 6 distro
> --past experiences were not so pleasant.

Ok, great!

> Noticed yesterday that running
>
>      smartctl -d sat -a /dev/sdX
>
> through the ASMedia host controller causes
> a 'xhci_hcd WARN: Stalled endpoint' each time.

Just ignore those, they're harmless messages and will be removed in the
next kernel release.

> Makes me wonder if it's related to the
> unrecognized SCSI command behavior somehow.
> Fortunately nothing worse than the warning
> results.
>
> Testing has to wait till next week.
> Presently copying /dev/urandom to the
> drive array on the target machine in
> preparation for dm-crypt.  It might finish
> sometime this weekend.

Ok, let me know what you find out.

Sarah Sharp