Re: USB3 high-speed write test failure with WDC MyBook 3TB drive

At 12:17 PM 11/22/2011 -0800, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>The patch
>that went in fixes a case where the xHCI driver
>feels the host controller bad data, but only if
>the device needs a reset (which some storage
>devices do when they decide they can't handle a
>particular SCSI command).  So the MyBook might
>trigger the xHCI driver bug, but your new drive
>appears not to.

Interesting.  Would make sense that an ASMedia
ASM1051 USB3 bridge would play nicer with an
ASMedia ASM1042 host controller than bridges
from other vendors.

Pretty sure the MyBook has an Initio INIC-3607.
This controller and the JMicron JMS539 found in
the Mukii both have an 8051 CPU and run with the
associated firmware ecosystem--the trigger might
be in some common 8051 code.

>Any chance you can try the latest kernel from
>Linus' tree and see if it fixes your problem?

Sure.  Had to move to 3.1.1 in the end anyway.
RHEL 6.0 kernel trapped when parted 3.0
attempted to GPT partition a 4K logical sector
drive.  Once one starts compiling kernels, one
more is easy.  3.1.1 works nice so far (i.e.
no crashes), gets along with the RHEL 6 distro
--past experiences were not so pleasant.

>If other host controllers are strict about
>checking input like the AsMedia host is, then they
>would also run into this bug.  I know it doesn't
>show up on the NEC xHCI host controller.

Make sense--didn't try the NEC.

-----

Noticed yesterday that running

     smartctl -d sat -a /dev/sdX

through the ASMedia host controller causes
a 'xhci_hcd WARN: Stalled endpoint' each time.
Makes me wonder if it's related to the
unrecognized SCSI command behavior somehow.
Fortunately nothing worse than the warning
results.

Testing has to wait till next week.
Presently copying /dev/urandom to the
drive array on the target machine in
preparation for dm-crypt.  It might finish
sometime this weekend.