Re: USB modem device not working.

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Neeraj Jakhar wrote:

> I plugged in the USB modem device while usbmon was running. I hope
> this is what you were expecting. The resultant log (gzipped) is
> attached with the mail.
> Please let me know if you expected something else.
>
> Another thing to note would be, erring system is AMD 64 bit system,
> while the system where modem is working is x86 32-bit. The kernel as
> well as GNU/Linux on both the boxes is 32 bit though. [Additional
> information if it is of any use: The installation from 32-bit was
> dumped as is on to the 64-bit system (with a few tweaks here and
> there), and everything was working until I started using this USB
> modem.]

The type of system doesn't matter; what matters is the USB hardware.
The usbmon trace shows that the modem gets disconnected whenever the
OHCI controller on the AMD system issues a reset.  This could be the
fault of the modem or of the controller.

Do any other full-speed devices work on this system?

Also, have you tried attaching a USB hub between the computer and the
modem?

Alan Stern