Re: USB modem device not working.

On 23 October 2011 12:20, Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. Oktober 2011, 07:56:59 schrieb OBD:
>> I am attaching the full dmesg output from the erring system if that is
>> of any help.
>
> This is a very early low level thing. This failure in enumeration would be
> much easier to solve with a trace. The crucial difference seems to be whether
> the device goes to ehci or ohci. But even with ehci there is a problem:
>
> [  531.663476] usb 2-1.3: new full speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
> [  531.729928] usb 2-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -32

This error message that you have posted above is actually from the
system that is working.
Though I understand it is an error message still. Just clarifying, in
case you have missed.

> In this case a trace with usbmon would be better than dmesg.

I plugged in the USB modem device while usbmon was running. I hope
this is what you were expecting. The resultant log (gzipped) is
attached with the mail.
Please let me know if you expected something else.

Another thing to note would be, erring system is AMD 64 bit system,
while the system where modem is working is x86 32-bit. The kernel as
well as GNU/Linux on both the boxes is 32 bit though. [Additional
information if it is of any use: The installation from 32-bit was
dumped as is on to the 64-bit system (with a few tweaks here and
there), and everything was working until I started using this USB
modem.]

-OBD