Re: usb: udc-core: Dual gadget issue in v3.1

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 05:29:33PM +0530, Gupta, Ajay Kumar wrote:
> > > My comment was w.r.t current musb driver which needs gadget module to
> > > be Inserted and why we can't have gadget as modules (as suggested by
> > > Felipe
> > > above) for host only ports in such use case.
> >
> > you misunderstood me. I said that host-only ports, should not need
> > anything. See the switch below.
>
> As explained my comments was w.r.t current musb driver for which you
> Suggested to use all gadget as module.
>
> Ideally there should not be any need for gadget module for host only
> ports.

but there is no need. Still it doesn't prevent me from adding the
drivers to Kconfig. run a # modprobe -l on your laptop and I bet that
half of the drivers which appear there, you have no HW for them.

> I can see below two types of issue currently.
>
> A) Limitation  in musb driver which requires gadget driver to be available
> Even for host only ports.

this is easily fixable. It's not even a limitation. I already showed you
the code to fix that up.

> B) There is no option in menuconfig to select two gadget modules for two
> OTG ports in built-in mode.

and there will never be. Try to compile usb-storage.ko built-into the
kernel for port0 on your USB roothub. What your asking for can't be
done. Period.

> If A) above is solved then B) would not be needed for boards which has
> first port as device only and *second* port as host only. If a board
> has first port host only and second port as device only then fix A)
> alone will not help.

why not ?

> We need to have both A) and B) fixed for boards which have both musb port
> as OTG capable. (means they have micro-AB receptacle)

dude, I'm sorry, but what have you been smoking ? If one port is
host-only, then *** NO GADGET DRIVER SHOULD BIND TO IT **** Why are you
talking about gadget drivers for a host-only port ?

It's already agreed that current code always builds as OTG, granted. So
fix that alone. If board-file asks for host-only mode, don't enable
gadget side. Compile everything in and do runtime check based on
platform data.

--
balbi