Re: USB remote wakeup issue

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> Is there anything special I should need to do in order to make a key
> press bring a system out of suspend?  I was trying to test Andiry's
> remote wakeup bug fixes, and I can't get a USB keyboard to wakeup the
> system.
>
> In fact, I can't even get it to wake up the system when it's
> plugged in under EHCI!  But my PS2 keyboard does wakeup the system, so
> I'm a bit stumped.
>
> I've looked in my BIOS settings, and there's some settings for what can
> "power on" the system, but all of them (including the PS2 keyboard
> setting) are disabled.  I'm not sure if those apply to booting the
> system for the first time, or bringing the system out of suspend, but I
> suspect it's not the latter because my PS2 keyboard brings the system
> out of suspend.
>
> I've tested with two different keyboards (verifying both times that
> power/wakeup reads as enabled), and even tried to echo enabled to
> power/wakeup for a mouse, but that didn't wake up the system either.
> I've tried with two different boxes: one is a development platform, and
> another is an off-the-shelf ASUS motherboard.  The dev platform has an
> integrated "rate matching" hub (so no companion controllers), but the
> ASUS platform has UHCI companion controllers.
>
> I was running 3.0.0-rc7 on this box, but I also rebooted into a generic
> Ubuntu 2.6.38 kernel, and that didn't work either.  Can anyone else
> cause USB remote wakeup to bring a system out of suspend?

In principle, all you should need is to echo "enabled" to the
power/wakeup attribute for the keyboard in question, possibly for the
root hub ancestor device (it should be enabled by default), and for the
PCI USB controller device.

I won't have time to investigate very much during the rest of this
week.  If you haven't solved it by next week, I'll look into it some
more.

Alan Stern