Re: USB 2.0 disk performance

On Aug 1, 2011, at 4:55 PM, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (please break your lines at 80 characters ;-)

Please fix your email reader to justify text written on email clients that give
you no way to do that effectively.

No, I probably don't buy that either, used to annoy the heck out of me too.

8/

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:57:42PM -0700, Perry Wagle wrote:
>> If I have a 2.6.31.6 kernel running on an ARM, what kind of
>> performance can I get how?  I'm getting about 14 MB/sec read and write
>
> it pretty much depends on the controller you're using and how optimized
> the driver for that controller is. This is really a case-by-case
> analysis. While the stack itself poses some overhead, I would say
> (didn't measure ok ;-) Linux's USB stacks (host and device side) are
> quite low overhead...

I guess I was looking for ballpark estimates for vanilla hardware.  Like
whether I was getting average performance or ridiculously slow for basic
commodity hardware and software.

>> and the customer of my customer (I'm an independent contractor) is
>> expecting 20-30.  Is that possible in linux?  (I get the same
>
> well, if the HW _can_ do better and the SW isn't optimized, then yes,
> why not ?!?

I'm not sure how well the hardware can do, is there any way to
experimentally get estimates?

What's "easy" to do in the way of software?  I'm a slightly clued usb noob.

>> performance on a x86_64 running ubuntu 10.10).  What's the deal we can
>> tell them?
>
> we can't really tell you how to talk to your customers, what we can tell
> is that without further information on the setup (which controller,
> which device, who's playing the role as Host and who's playing role as
> Device, which chipset on Host side, which disk are you using, etc) it's
> quite difficult to give any tips.

Ok, to not unduly annoy everyone with a bout of 20 questions, what should
I look at to get more detailed info that I can give here?