Re: USB 2.0 disk performance

Hi,

(please break your lines at 80 characters ;-)

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:57:42PM -0700, Perry Wagle wrote:
> If I have a 2.6.31.6 kernel running on an ARM, what kind of
> performance can I get how?  I'm getting about 14 MB/sec read and write

it pretty much depends on the controller you're using and how optimized
the driver for that controller is. This is really a case-by-case
analysis. While the stack itself poses some overhead, I would say
(didn't measure ok ;-) Linux's USB stacks (host and device side) are
quite low overhead...

> and the customer of my customer (I'm an independent contractor) is
> expecting 20-30.  Is that possible in linux?  (I get the same

well, if the HW _can_ do better and the SW isn't optimized, then yes,
why not ?!?

> performance on a x86_64 running ubuntu 10.10).  What's the deal we can
> tell them?

we can't really tell you how to talk to your customers, what we can tell
is that without further information on the setup (which controller,
which device, who's playing the role as Host and who's playing role as
Device, which chipset on Host side, which disk are you using, etc) it's
quite difficult to give any tips.

--
balbi