Re: [RFC v2 00/10] Intel xHCI SW bandwidth checking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> > As has been pointed out repeatedly, the EHCI periodic scheduling code
> > is full of bugs.  No doubt you are running across some of them.
>
> Yes, that was my intent. :)  I was trying to make sure that it was an
> over-subscribed bus by verifying that the EHCI driver had issues with
> scheduling.  Of course, that's not a true test, because the scheduler
> could have bugs with nearly over-subscribed schedules, but it was a
> close enough approximation for me.

Um.  I certainly wouldn't assume the bus was really over-subscribed
merely because there were errors.  In fact, the scheduler has bugs with
schedules that aren't anywhere close to being over-subscribed.  For
example, I have heard (though I haven't checked it personally) that
ehci-hcd won't accept a full-speed isochronous endpoint with maxpacket
= 1023 even if nothing else is plugged in.

> Ah, ok, I hadn't noticed that.  Still, I think I want to make xHCI keep
> a copy of the information, at least at for a first pass.  Any objections
> before I send this off to Greg?

No objections.

Alan Stern