usb3 port not showing connect state on boot

Hi Sarah,

I am trying to debug a situation where when booting up my system with
3.0.0-rc7, the xhci_hcd detects my usb3 WD disk and usb3 hub.  However it
doesn't detect my usb3 Buffalo disk behind my hub.

On my Panther point system's root hub
port 3 has the WD disk
port 4 has the VIA 4-port usb3 hub

Using lsusb -t, I expected bit0 to represent the actual connect state of
the device under the hub port status.  It shows a '0', meaning nothing is
connected (for the VIA hub).

 Hub Port Status:
   Port 1: 0000.02a0 5Gbps power Rx.Detect
   Port 2: 0000.02a0 5Gbps power Rx.Detect
   Port 3: 0000.02a0 5Gbps power Rx.Detect
   Port 4: 0000.02a0 5Gbps power Rx.Detect

Of course, if I unplug the disk and re-connect, it works as expected.

I am trying to understand the situation in which the hub would not see a
device is connected (even when the power is enabled to the port it seems).

I am not sure what logs to attach so I haven't attached any.

Any guidance on where to look or what to look for would be appreciated.
:-)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Don