Re: [RFC v2 00/10] Intel xHCI SW bandwidth checking

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 05:16:41PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
> > Here's the updated RFC for the software bandwidth checking quirk for the
> > Intel Panther Point xHCI host.
> >
> > It's stable now, bug free IFAIK, and seems to track bandwidth properly.
> > If I don't use a webcam that always requests a 3060 byte payload
> > (requiring uvcvideo to always request the most bandwidth-hungry
> > alternate interface setting), I can create a setup with an almost
> > maxed-out setup where I can view some lower video resolutions, but not
> > all of them.  (This is with several LS/FS devices attached to two
> > multi-TT hubs, one of them being a true 7-port hub.)  All the while,
> > previously added devices like mice, keyboards, ethernet adapters, and
> > USB-to-serial adapters work correctly.
> >
> > This same setup under EHCI causes issues, with lots of Xact errors.  The
>
> As has been pointed out repeatedly, the EHCI periodic scheduling code
> is full of bugs.  No doubt you are running across some of them.

Yes, that was my intent. :)  I was trying to make sure that it was an
over-subscribed bus by verifying that the EHCI driver had issues with
scheduling.  Of course, that's not a true test, because the scheduler
could have bugs with nearly over-subscribed schedules, but it was a
close enough approximation for me.

> >  At that point, the xHCI driver
> > should be removing the endpoints that were added during the
> > re-enumeration.
>
> At this point in the re-enumeration, the only endpoint to have been
> added is ep0.  This occurs before the first call to
> usb_hcd_alloc_bandwidth().
>
> > I'm not certain exactly how to fix that issue, and given that the USB
> > core does something like overwrite the descriptor values here, I'd
> > rather treat descriptors as private to the USB core, and not use the
> > endpoint descriptor pointers.
>
> That's up to you.  But this is not a genuine problem.

Ah, ok, I hadn't noticed that.  Still, I think I want to make xHCI keep
a copy of the information, at least at for a first pass.  Any objections
before I send this off to Greg?

Sarah Sharp