Re: USB with SDHC card not recognized in 2.6.39 and 3.0rc4

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Peter Rasmussen wrote:

> Alan> Did you notice this response from the "mount" program?
>
> > root@kultorvet:/home/plr# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
> >        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> >        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> >        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> Peter> Yes, I have seen it many times in the past and never really found it
> useful, thus not paying much attention to it.

In this case, the "missing codepage" is what gave me the clue.

> Alan> first glance it appears that your 3.0-rc4 kernel configuration is
> Alan> missing something.  Did you forget to build in support for VFAT
> Alan> (CONFIG_VFAT_FS) or the appropriate codepage (CONFIG_NLS_ASCII and
> Alan> CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437)?
>
> Peter> Thanks a lot, now I got tracking on something! CONFIG_VFAT_FS is set, but
> CONFIG_NLS_ASCII and CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437 wasn't set in my 3.0rc4 kernel.
> Peter> When executing "mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1" I could mount it, and after
> rebuilding 3.0rc4 with those flags set, I can now also mount it with a FAT32 FS
> on.
> Peter> I didn't actually _forget_ to set the two _NLS_ flags, as I had never
> made the connection unless you had mentioned it. Being from Denmark I prefer
> table 865 and sometimes I have set the tables 865 and/or 850, without paying
> much attention as it isn't something I have ever seen as an issue, until now.
> Peter> I am however, from the 'old school' and most often build my kernels as
> lean as possible, with everything that I need built in and nothing else, so they
> were most often unset and not just for example set to be built as modules.
> Peter> As config files sometimes changes after an update I don't always get
> everything adjusted, and an ASCII or a 437 may sometimes have slipped in.

Perhaps you could omit the 437 codepage if you change the setting of
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE.  I don't know what the ASCII gets used for
-- maybe it's not necessary.

> Peter> A better (=more precise) error message when attempting to mount a volume
> would be great,

There's a limited communication channel for errors between the kernel
and userspace, and error codes sometimes are necessarily imprecise.

> Peter> I am very glad that this first issue seems to be cleared, I learned
> something, and I will continue with the next issue that I mentioned in the first
> post, ie. other adapters behaving differently with the same flash card and the
> same kernel.
> Peter> I do hope it is more exciting than being some silly CONFIG flag.

Probably.  To start with, let's see the dmesg log and a usbmon trace
showing what happens when you plug in one of those other adapters with
the SDHC card present.  You can continue to use 3.0-rc4, and make sure
that CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is enabled.

Alan Stern