Re: [RFC v3] Intel xhci: Support EHCI/xHCI port switching.

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 03:37:37PM +0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:45:10PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> Thanks for taking the kernel boot parameter out, much nicer.
>
> Just one tiny nit:
>
> > +	if (!ports_available)
> > +		dev_warn(&xhci_pdev->dev,
> > +				"WARNING: BIOS reports no USB 3.0 ports? "
> > +				"Email linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\n");
> > +
>
> Do you really want to get emails about this?
> We've been burned in the past, but I know we still have messages for
> this for the usb-storage stuff, and it's useful there.
>
> What would a user be able to do, or you be able to do, if someone does
> email you based on this, and the other warning message like this?  How
> are we going to be able to resolve it, by fixing the kernel code, or
> their BIOS?

If we find that BIOSes don't set the port routing mask registers
correctly, we can just add a quirk for that platform/BIOS version that
writes all ones to the port switchover registers.  I really have no hope
for fixing BIOSes. :)

Originally, when there was some internal FUD about whether all USB 2.0
devices would work under xHCI, I offered the port mask as a compromise.
If OEMs found that some internal USB 2.0 device didn't work under xHCI
(and they were using the xHCI ports internally instead of EHCI for
whatever reason), then they could tell their BIOS writers to disable
that port in the port mask.  So there could be a practical reason why
the port mask register doesn't get set.

In practice, BIOS writers being what they are, I think it will either
never get set (since Windows doesn't use this particular mask register,
and we all know if a BIOS works with Windows it gets shipped), or will
always get set to the suggested value in the EDS documentation, which is
exactly the number of ports that the xHCI host supports.

We could just write all ones to the switchover ports, which avoids BIOS
writers all together and assumes the non-working USB 2.0 device under
xHCI is a rare case, which it should be.

Sarah Sharp