Re: [RFC 2/4] Intel xhci: Support EHCI/xHCI port switching.

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:07:51AM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:10:02AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:29:16PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > > This switchover mechanism is there to support users who do a custom
> > > install of certain non-Linux operating systems that don't have official
> > > USB 3.0 support.  By default, the ports are under EHCI, SuperSpeed
> > > terminations are off, and USB 3.0 devices will show up under the EHCI
> > > controller at reduced speeds.  (This was more palatable for the marketing
> > > folks than having completely dead USB 3.0 ports if no xHCI drivers are
> > > available.)  Users should be able to turn on xHCI by default through a
> > > BIOS option, but users are happiest when they don't have to change random
> > > BIOS settings.
> >
> > I can't frickin belive this.
> >
> > Well, I guess I can, but that's just so horrible I really can't express
> > how messed up this is.
>
> I'm not fond of it either (understatement of the week), but they were
> already in the middle of architecting this solution by the time I even
> heard about it.  Don't shoot the messenger?

Oh I didn't mean to shoot the messenger at all, sorry if it came across
that way.  I know you are handling it the best that you can, it was a
complaint about the hardware design decision.

> > And the USB-IF gives us MAJOR crap[1] about Linux developers
> > participating in the specification work, yet other operating systems
> > require horrible hardware hacks like this in order just to have them to
> > work with their platforms.
> >
> > [1] They just kicked some Linux kernel developers out of a working group
> > for a new USB device specification because they don't trust us to abide
> > by the legal agreements we signed.  If I was a paranoid person, I would
> > think that some company was out to get us because we showed them up
> > again with USB support first-to-market.
>
> I don't think that's related to this patch, but yeah, I'm not happy
> about the USB-IF thing either.

I would hope that it is not related, but I do know we have made a number
of people upset that we have support first, and that can't be helpful
toward their attitude toward us.

> However, the USB-IF really only wants employees or hired consultants
> of USB-IF member companies to participate, and those people really
> weren't Linux Foundation employees.

But the legal requirements that the USB-IF were bound to those
developers, just as much as they were for any other participant in the
specification process.  For them to claim that it somehow was different
from a legal standpoint (which they did), I feel is disingenuous.

> It's messed up, but that's how they want to make money. :(

We are paying them money, that's the really messed up part.  Now because
of this, it looks like they are going to get less money, which isn't
what they really want I would think.

> I really wish it had worked out, because Linux developers do need to
> have a say in the specification process.

I totally agree.

> I'm just not sure if it's worth trying anymore. :-/

I'm about to give up as well.

I think I'll try one more round with the USB-IF, and if that doesn't
work, downgrade the Linux Foundation USB-IF membership to just have to
pay for the vendor id and that's it.

thanks,

greg k-h