Re: [RFC 2/4] Intel xhci: Support EHCI/xHCI port switching.

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:29:16PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> This switchover mechanism is there to support users who do a custom
> install of certain non-Linux operating systems that don't have official
> USB 3.0 support.  By default, the ports are under EHCI, SuperSpeed
> terminations are off, and USB 3.0 devices will show up under the EHCI
> controller at reduced speeds.  (This was more palatable for the marketing
> folks than having completely dead USB 3.0 ports if no xHCI drivers are
> available.)  Users should be able to turn on xHCI by default through a
> BIOS option, but users are happiest when they don't have to change random
> BIOS settings.

I can't frickin belive this.

Well, I guess I can, but that's just so horrible I really can't express
how messed up this is.

And the USB-IF gives us MAJOR crap[1] about Linux developers
participating in the specification work, yet other operating systems
require horrible hardware hacks like this in order just to have them to
work with their platforms.

What's the time frame on seeing hardware like this around?  Do we need
to get this into .40/3.0.0 or can it wait for the next merge window.

thanks,

greg k-h

[1] They just kicked some Linux kernel developers out of a working group
for a new USB device specification because they don't trust us to abide
by the legal agreements we signed.  If I was a paranoid person, I would
think that some company was out to get us because we showed them up
again with USB support first-to-market.