Re: [RFC 2/4] Intel xhci: Support EHCI/xHCI port switching.

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:33:37AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 May 2011, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > > And the USB-IF gives us MAJOR crap[1] about Linux developers
> > > participating in the specification work, yet other operating systems
> > > require horrible hardware hacks like this in order just to have them to
> > > work with their platforms.

> > > [1] They just kicked some Linux kernel developers out of a working group
> > > for a new USB device specification because they don't trust us to abide
> > > by the legal agreements we signed.  If I was a paranoid person, I would
> > > think that some company was out to get us because we showed them up
> > > again with USB support first-to-market.
> >
> > Is there any hope of improving matters by filing a formal complaint?
>
> Well, it would probably just get reviewed by the USB-IF board of
> directors, which basically consists of members from companies who pay
> the most money to get on the board.  HP, Intel, LSI, Microsoft, Rensas
> (formerly NEC), and ST-Ericsson.  All big companies with sort of a split
> personality when it comes to Linux support, with the exception of one.
> I think we'd have to get some allies within those companies to speak to
> the USB-IF board members first for our compliant to be heard.

Okay, there may be barriers, but will it hurt to try?  Or is it really
a case of outside developers not being allowed because they are neither
employees of nor contractors with the USB-IF member companies?  I can
understand the board not wanting to allow that.

Alan Stern