Re: xhci chip support

Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@...> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 02:21:45PM -0500, Xianghua Xiao wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > New to USB3.0 and I'm trying to find chips that have good linux
> > support. Specifically I have looked at uPD720200 and TUSB7340. From
> > drivers/usb/host(Sarah's git tree) I only saw generic xhci.* and
> > nothing vendor-specific. Does this mean all these existing USB3.0
> > hosts are supported by recent kernel already with the same xhci*
> > files?
>
> You should not need any vendor-specific code.  All xHCI host controllers
> are supposed to conform with the xHCI specification, and the Linux xHCI
> driver is written to that spec.  So the code should work on any 0.96
> xHCI host controllers.  (Support for hosts that conform to the 1.0 xHCI
> specification is not in Linux yet, but AFAIK there are no 1.0 xHCI host
> controllers on the market.)
>
> I know that uPD720200-based hosts work, and I suspect that
> TUSB7340-based hosts also work, although I haven't had a chance to test
> them.  Please let me know if you run into problems.
>
> Sarah Sharp
> --

Hi,

looking for people having trouble with TUSB73x0? Here I am :-)

actually, I'm using a TUSB7320 (just two less ports away from 7340),
plus Linux Kernel 2.6.37 with TI proprietary patches
(I'm working on a board hosting a TI81XX system-on-chip)
here's what happens:
- hotplugging USB2/USB3 peripherals is ineffective,
  the only way to have a gadget seen is plug it BEFORE powering on
- moving files from a gadget (a WD My Passport 500GB HD Drive)
  to central mass storage works, moving the opposite way don't
  ends up in a filesystem error, and the device gets unmounted
- same things as before if I plug the same HD through an USB2 hub
do you know if TI is supporting linux directly on these devices?
and of course, Sarah, do you have some hint?

Best regards

Francesco Castelli