Re: xhci chip support

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 05:27:03PM +0000, Francesco Castelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking for people having trouble with TUSB73x0? Here I am :-)

Hi Francesco,

(It helps if you send mail directly to me along with Ccing the linux-usb
mailing list. :)

> actually, I'm using a TUSB7320 (just two less ports away from 7340),
> plus Linux Kernel 2.6.37 with TI proprietary patches
> (I'm working on a board hosting a TI81XX system-on-chip)

So what are these proprietary patches and how did you get them?  Do they
apply to the xHCI driver, or to some other in-kernel driver, or did TI
give you a binary module to install?

> here's what happens:
> - hotplugging USB2/USB3 peripherals is ineffective,
>   the only way to have a gadget seen is plug it BEFORE powering on

Ok, that sounds like a hardware problem, probably around link training.

> - moving files from a gadget (a WD My Passport 500GB HD Drive)

By gadget, I assume you mean USB device?  We use gadget specifically for
devices that run Linux (e.g. a Linux gadget or a gadget driver).

>   to central mass storage works, moving the opposite way don't
>   ends up in a filesystem error, and the device gets unmounted

So writing to the device causes a filesystem error.  Can you send the
dmesg?

> - same things as before if I plug the same HD through an USB2 hub

Does the device work if you plug it into another USB port on the same
machine (an EHCI port)?

> do you know if TI is supporting linux directly on these devices?

The TI xHCI host controller should just work with the xHCI driver.  I'd
have to see the dmesg of the failure to confirm that the driver isn't
doing anything wrong, of course.

> and of course, Sarah, do you have some hint?

Send me your dmesg and I might find a hint there.  Otherwise, no, I have
no hints for you. :)

Sarah Sharp