Re: Pantech UML290 3G

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 12:04 -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 08:59:12AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:24:45AM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm connecting via 3G with the Pantech UML290 using cdc-acm.  I've found that I
> > > have to use this unsupported 3rd party Windows utility to configure the device
> > > for 3G (there is no 4G coverage in my area):
> > >
> > > http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3492/64
> > >
> > > With the standard configuration, PPP and IP come up but no traffic will flow
> > > over the link.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any idea what that utility might be doing that makes 3G work?
> > > I need to be able to use the device without having to plug it into a Windows
> > > machine first for configuration.
> >
> > Can you run this utility in a windows virtual machine and snoop on the
> > traffic using usbmon so that we can see what is happening here?
>
> I haven't done that before, but I can give it a shot.  I might not get to it for
> a few days.
>
> I was hoping the options presented by the utility might look familiar to someone
> that knows the technology better than I do.

I snooped this a bit ago and I've added support for it to libqcdm from
ModemManager:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commit/?id=7a2031613aa2405c9414ff1f3a4d3d18362d4a52

It's a qualcomm NV item that you write to the modem.  There's no
specific tool for it yet, but libqcdm has all the bits necessary to read
and write that specific value.  The test cases in the libqcdm/tests
directory have code to read it and writing it isn't much different.

That said, I'm hopeful that we don't need to set any of this in the
future.  The UML290 is sub-optimal in that almost none of the Verizon
connection manager functionality uses the AT port, and I think PPP is
only required if you're using the AT port for stuff.  The modem's
native mode is "WMC" proprietary commands on a second USB interface with
a custom request and response format.  The native network interface is
what appears to be a TUN interface in Windows, and as far as I can find
out, it simply transmits and receives raw IP packets with no ethernet
encapsulation.  The IPv4 and IPv6 address that you assign to that
interface is retrieved via command on the proprietary WMC interface.

If we end reverse engineering the AT*WMC stuff on the secondary
interface, I'm hopeful that we can leave the HDR mode preference set at
eHRPD and just do 1xRTT and EVDO connections through the net port
instead of having to twiddle HDR mode preference every time you want to
use 3G vs. LTE.  Having to do that would realyl suck, not to mention
kill roaming completely.

Dan