Re: Corruption of files on usb memory sticks - kernel 2.6.8.1

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:06:59AM +0100, Donal Morrissey wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> Thanks for taking the time to respond.
>
> On 13 May 2011 18:28, Robert Pearce <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 May 2011 17:33:07 +0100 you wrote:
> >> embedded platform running the 2.6.8.1 kernel
> >
> > Did you mean that? Or was it a typo and should say 2.6.38.1? If the
> > former then somebody will reply saying please use something slightly
> > approximating a modern kernel.
>
> Unfortunately it wasn't a typo, the following is the version info for
> our target:
> ~ # cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.8.1-crus2.0.8 (nightbuilder@bob) (gcc version 3.4.3)
> #1 Fri May 13 00:06:25 BST 2011
>
> Updating to a newer Kernel is something we have considered, but before
> attempting this we would like to have investigated the issue as much
> as possible. We obviously don't want to put in the effort if it turns
> out it was something else. I've also spent some time looking through
> the Kernel change logs from 2.6.8 and could not find any explicit
> fixes for this type of error.

That kernel is almost 7 years old.  Many hundreds of thousands of
changes have happened since then, resulting in a kernel that looks
almost nothing like what you are currently using.

I strongly recommend upgrading.  If not, again, work with your vendor
who is supporting that kernel to provide fixes, we can not do that here
at all.

best of luck,

greg k-h