Corruption of files on usb memory sticks - kernel 2.6.8.1

Hi All,
We are having a problem with corruption of files on usb sticks for an
embedded platform running the 2.6.8.1 kernel on a Cirrus EP9302 Arm9
processor.

We run logging that logs directly to a text file on a FAT32 usb stick.
This logging is continuous (20MB of data per hour) and includes log
messages from our user space applications and the kernel Ring Buffer.
On very rare occasions we have found blocks of corrupt data within the
logs files.

The blocks of corrupt data are multiples of 512 bytes in length. When
looking at the corrupt data, it looks like blocks of data from files
previously deleted from the USB sticks. For example, we get everything
from blocks of data from older logs, blocks of zeros and blocks of
data from deleted PDF files!
There are also gaps in our expected log data, so it looks like a
failed write, rather than the insertion of the corrupt blocks into the
log.

We have not found any kernel messages around the time of corruption
(although they could be within the blocks of corrupt log) and our
logging daemon has error handling that should catch if a write to the
log file fails.

The issue appears on various brands of usb stick.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or suggestions
on how to investigate this further?
We are pretty sure it is a low level issue and not our user-space
daemon (which does not read the contents of the usb stick), hence
posting on this mailing list.

Best Regards,
Donal