Re: Corruption of files on usb memory sticks - kernel 2.6.8.1

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 11:56 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > We run logging that logs directly to a text file on a FAT32 usb stick.
> > This logging is continuous (20MB of data per hour) and includes log
> > messages from our user space applications and the kernel Ring Buffer.
> > On very rare occasions we have found blocks of corrupt data within the
> > logs files.

This sounds a lot like issues I have had with a bad batch of USB sticks
(don't know what manufacturer as they are branded advertising stock)
whose wear levelling appears to go bad, resulting in all sorts of random
re-mappings of data into other files.

Do your corrupt files read the same if you copy them off multiple times?
I found that ours didn't, which pointed fairly strongly at a
hardware-level issue.

Richard