Re: ioctl for Edgeport/8s MEI

Allan,

(I've added Claudio to CC)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:56:11 +0100, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

full-duplex, terminating DTE (which really is RS-422).  Hence, as I
understands it, the current naming/implementation is a bit misleading -
and I can very well be wrong on this. :) (BTW: How can the driver revert back to RS-232?)

That's usually the case - interfaces grow. The important thing is to have
one interface in common and with commonality for the common features.

Right. So, for the existing implementation of TIOC[S|G]RS485, which RS-485 mode does it actually map to for the two devices which currently implements this?

Right now TIOCSRS485 really only deals with some of the less flexible
devices so we've always know it would need a bit of extending.

OK. I was not aware that this already has received some thought by some. :) What is the preferred way of doing this? Add additional IOCTLs, or extend the serial_rs485 struct to include UART modes?

And how is/should the RS-422 and RS-232 mode switching [be] handled? A different set of IOCTLs?

 -Frode