Re: ioctl for Edgeport/8s MEI

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 07:46:00AM +0100, Frode Tennebø wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 01:36:16 +0100, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:18:36AM +0100, Frode Tennebø wrote:

> >>The functionality I was referring to was the software mode selection
> >>supported by the Edgeport hard-/firmware as described in their ionmode.c
> >>utility:
> >
> >Do you have a pointer to the source code for this tool?  That will tell
> >you how it is setting these modes for the device, right?
>
> Sure.  This link [1] contains the source code for the original
> driver as well as the utility.  The IOCTLs it is using is
> ION_SETMODE/ION_GETMODE.
>
>  -Frode
>
> [1] ftp://ftp1.digi.com/support/beta/linux/edgeport/edgeport-0.5-1.gz

Ok, this is a "custom" version of the driver, using a private ioctl,
that is not in the main kernel.org version of the driver.  So the
utilities here will not work for you at all without you also running
their versions of the drivers.

That is how the modes are being changed, they are "cheating" :)

So there's not much we can do here, except that I would gladly take a
patch to implement this "properly" in the driver if someone creates it.

thanks,

greg k-h